This page was an old version of the homepage. Url's removed or modified January 16, 2000
WikiFour is the fourth testing generation (0.4) of the UseModWiki. Thanks to Marcus Denker for his work on AtisWiki which made this much easier.
Comments are welcome on WikiFourComments?, or by mail at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Visitors can sign RecentVisitors, and make their own pages. Visitors who just want to play can do so in the SandBox.
See RecentChanges and ChangeSummary?. Click the page title to do a backlinks search. Click the logo to return home. See WikiFormat and LinkPattern for some examples of the formatting rules.
Major changes from other wikis:
- Simple installation
- All the code is in one file
- Requires only CGI.pm (which is in the standard Perl distribution)
- All configuration variables are at the top of the file
- Databases are ordinary files and directories. One can delete or rename pages by changing the files.
- Speed enhancments
- A new HtmlCache feature (which used to work properly with undefined pages (the ? links), but is currently disabled.)
- Code is split into sections, and only required sections are evaluated. (The big win is that cached pages do not require loading CGI.pm)
- SubPages (See SubPage and PythonLanguage for samples)
- SubPages allow every page to act like a separate wiki with its own namespace.
- SubPages do not have to be full LinkPatterns (This makes some subpages more natural)
- EditConflict detection. If a page is updated after you start editing, you will be warned of the conflict, and will have a second textbox with your text.
Other changes include:
- A PageRedirect command which automatically redirects visitors to a new page.
- More flexible LinkPatterns (including numbers and underscore (_) after the initial wiki name).
- A new database format which can store multiple copies of pages. (This will be used for new features like history backup and "day-diff".)
- Users can release stuck editing locks. (Try http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki?action=Unlock to use this feature. If the lock was forced, you will see "Forced Unlock", and if the lock was not in use, you will see "Normal Unlock".)
Todo in the next few versions:
- History-copy system, with links to view or edit old versions.
- Advanced RecentChanges with selectable options, including:
- The ability to bookmark a URL with your favorite options selected.
- Grouping subpages together under their main page.
- Ignoring tests within the SandBox and other designated test pages.
- Ignoring certain subpage types, like "Discuss", "BookMarks?", "HouseKeeping?", etc.
- Merged functionality of ChangeSummary?, RecentEdits, and EditSummary.
- New difference/changes features, including "daydiff" which will show the changes within a selected number of hours/days.
- Some kind of InterWiki feature (probably following the lead of ZWiki)
Todo before release:
- Install instructions
- LGPL license, history, etc...
- Sample wikis:
- Starter wiki with beginner's instructions (pages like EditText?)
- Sample wiki (starter with some example topics)
See JugglingProgress for some original wiki content.