A Magic Page is a Wiki Page which writes some sort of generated content below the editable Wiki content. Contrast with purely generated pages such as the Preferences page.
, the only Magic Page is RecentChanges
Other wiki engines have magic pages such as:
- Category listing : lists the search results for the category page title; makes any page whose name begins with "Category" magic
UseModWiki pages which could become magic:
- Sunir's MeatBall:WantedPages
- the Edit links action page, providing the "check admin status" takes place on form submit. (the only advantage of doing this is that it slims down the script, since we remove the paragraph of text which explains the syntax)
- the search page seen on UnrealWiki
- the Preferences page
- an image uploader
There are two different approaches to this:
- admin-led: the names of pages to be "magic" are coded into the script in some way.
- A patch which adds magic page modules to UseModWiki: WikiPatches/MagicPages
- community-led: wiki editors choose to make any page "magic" by adding a special command to the wiki text. A patch for this: WikiPatches/MagicContent